That’s a proven and accepted fact that exercise in daily routine helps us to gain good health. Exercises are defined on 3 types based on their results which are Aerobics, Aenorabics and Flexibility exercises.
Aerobic exercise is that type of physical activity in which large muscle groups of the body are used to work out and to engage in cardiovascular endurance increase and other elements of fitness (flexibility, strength).
History of Aerobics
Due to research of Nobel Laureates British physiologist, Archibald Hill and German Physician Otto Meyerhof in 1922, there rises a new concept which shows about the importance of oxygen for body and how cardiovascular exercises can be very beneficial for it. Many Scientist further researched this concept from the University of Minnesota, Harvard Fatigue Laboratory, German universities, and the Copenhagen Muscle Research Centre.
There was a craze for jogging/running in the 1970s due to Olympics and New York Marathon which started right after World War II.
The United States Air force personnel and therapists Col. Pauline Potts and Dr Kenneth Cooper (who was later nicknamed as Father of Aerobics) advocated the concept which was started by the Nobel Laureates. Dr Cooper published his ideas in a book titled, “Aerobics” and in 1979 published a new book named “New Aerobics”.
Later Aerobics become a cool thing when American Actress Jane Fonda video show “Jane Fonda’s Workout” become very famous.
Types of Aerobics Exercises
According to the American Heart Association, 30 minutes of aerobic exercise is required for Five or more days per week for good health.
An Aerobic exercise (which is also known as Cardio since it focuses more on Cardiovascular related exercise) needs more oxygen intake than regular. Following are some example of Aerobic exercise:-
- Jump Rope:- Jumping Rope is the easiest Aerobics exercise that can be performed indoor, at the roof or any vacant place easily. Jumping rope is a good exercise for making hand-foot coordination. Duration for Jump rope should be 15-20 minutes from 3-5 times in a week.
- Running/Jogging:- Running is the most effective way to achieve oxygen intake. It can improve cardiovascular health by burning extra fat and calories. You can do this indoor on a treadmill or outdoor in a park. Duration for Running/Jogging should be 20-30 minutes from 2-3 times a week.
- Swimming: If you know swimming or interested in underwater activities, then swimming can be your new excuse as it is also one of the aerobic exercises. You can access a pool nearby for it and enrol to a swimming course if you are a newbie.
- Biking: Biking is a good way to increase cardiovascular health. You can do biking at your home via Cycling machine also. Duration of Cycling should be 35-45 minutes three times a week. You can start with mild cycling at a speed of 15 miles per hour.
You can also join the Aerobics class which is in vogue from a long time for aerobics exercises.
There you can do Cardio Kickboxing which is a mix of normal warmups, martial arts and boxing. Always drink as much as water during Cardio Kickboxing.
Zumba is a type of dance on the basic rhythm which is associated with aerobics classes, with an hour-long duration.
Benefits of Aerobic Exercise
- Aerobics help us in Increased Stamina due to its fast pace dance like methodology.
- Weight loss is also an advantage attained due to full-body movement.
- Aerobics helps in increasing cardiac health and respiratory system working.
- Due to aerobic relation to music and dance, it is also helpful in reducing stress and anxiety.
- Aerobics helps in the strong muscles and tone your body.
Disadvantages of Aerobics
- You can feel Muscle pain if you are new to Aerobic exercises done in the aerobics classes.
- If you are suffering from the bone-related problems, then you must consult your physician before trying aerobic dancing or classes.